Time: 24 hours before eating
Serves: As many eggs as you want. I’ve found you could comfortably make a dozen, probably more.
- eggs, 6-12
- 100ml or half a cup of water
- 100ml or half a cut of Japanese soy sauce
- 3 1/4 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped ginger root
- Boil a pan of water, add the eggs. Lower slightly and boil for 6 minutes, 30 seconds. Set a timer.
- Put the eggs in a bowl of cold water. Cycle the water as it heats up until they’re cold.
- Bring the water, soy sauce, mirin, and ginger to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool and pour into a container.
- Peel the eggs and add them to the marinade.
- Store for at least 10 hours, but ideally 24.
- Seriously, 6 minutes, 30 seconds. Watch the video.
- You could use an ice bath if you don’t feel like cycling the water. I can’t be bothered.